Sunday, March 29, 2015

Columbine Shooting 03/29/15

I thought that this crime deserved a separate post. So today, I will be talking about the Columbine shooting that happened on April 20, 1999.

"Columbine High School Shootings." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 29 Mar.
          2015. 

This site talks about the Columbine shooting that happened. Columbine is a high school located in Littleton. Their mascot was the Rebel Man. The gist of the story is that two teenage boys that were students at Columbine went on a shooting spree and killed 13 people and wounded over 20 people before both committing suicide. The crime was said to be the "worst high school shooting in U.S. history and prompted a national debate on gun control and school safety, as well as a major investigation to determine what motivated the gunmen." It goes into some detail about what happened during the shooting, the investigation, and the aftermath of the shooting. This is a very well-known crime and is a great representation of crime.

The Columbine shooting is a very interesting and important topic to me because I actually attended Columbine High School for 4 years. I had the privilege of graduating the same year that the infamous Mr. Frank DeAngelis retired as principal. During my freshman year, I got to read the book Columbine by Dave Cullen in my honors English class. It  was a very interesting experience because the book talked in detail about everything that was going on during the shooting and the path of the shooters as well as the actions that Mr. De took to protect his kids. It was a cool experience because as I was reading the book, I was able to picture where everything was and have an accurate visualization of what was being described because I knew the school so well. I also had the privilege to hear the story from different perspectives as some of my teachers were present at the time of the shooting. It is a very personal experience to share and I was lucky enough to hear it from them. My favorite story that I heard was from the man himself, Mr. De. From hearing his story, you can tell that he really cares for his faculty and students and we really are his children. Every year that I was there, we were put on lockdown because we would receive some sort of threat close to the anniversary of the shooting. Whenever I tell someone that I went to Columbine, I get the weirdest looks and some people are flabbergasted, but it is truly very safe and I will always have good words to say about that school. As the saying goes, once a rebel always a rebel.           

No comments:

Post a Comment